Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! Add me as a friend on Facebook! You can also folow me on Twitter. If you have any questions on quilting, I can try to answer them for you, or you can check out my FAQ, or email me at skippitydodahquilts@yahoo.com

Happy Quilting!

About Me

My photo
I'm just a new wife who has an obsession with my sewing machine! In Oct. 2010, my mother and I created my first sewing project - Euro pillow shams. I was hooked! I read everything I could get my hands on that had to do with sewing! Books, magazines, online tutorials. I experimented and found that I get so much enjoyment from making quilts, and that it's where I found my niche. I'm still a beginner, but I've learned so much in just 5 short months, that I want to share it with someone!

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Quick tip - Using Cone thread

So, last weekend, like a total nerdo, I watched Tron: Legacy. And of course, like a nerdo, I loved it. I've heard bad things about it, but pashaw to that! 

In quilty things, I do have a little tip. 

I bought my first cone of thread about a month ago from Connecting Threads. I love it. It just makes my life a lot easier, somehow :). However, when it came in the mail, I had absolutely no idea how to put it on my machine. So I hopped on Google and found that you need a stand for cones. I then found one for like, $30. Uhhhh, I don't know about anyone else, but I'd much rather spend that $30 on fabric, rather than a stand that is going to be behind my machine, where no one will see. 

So, as I'm watching Tron with a nice cup of hot chocolate, I looked and thought, Oh my God, why didn't i think of this before. I got up in a flurry, got another coffee mug, ran into my sewing room, and plopped the cone in the mug :). 


It works exactly like a thread stand! One thing you will have to consider is this little metal doo-hicky


It helps guide the thread through the machine initially so it doesn't get all tangled and yucky. I have one on my machine already, but if you don't, you can just bend a wire hanger in the same general idea and attache it to the handle of the mug. 
I am a cheapo, and this is probably the best addition to my sewing room. Ever. 

Oh! I also snapped a picture of my new machine :) - a Janome Memory Craft 6300. It's really nice. And probably one of the best purchases I've ever made. The features are really nice, and the price was absolutely fantastic. 

So, do you use cone thread? How long does a cone last for you? What brand do you use? As always, I love hearing feedback!

Later this week, I'll be showing you the progress on the color wheel wall hanging! It is soo-ooo cool :) :). 

Happy Quilting!

Popular Posts