Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! Add me as a friend on Facebook! You can also folow me on Twitter. If you have any questions on quilting, I can try to answer them for you, or you can check out my FAQ, or email me at skippitydodahquilts@yahoo.com

Happy Quilting!

About Me

My photo
I'm just a new wife who has an obsession with my sewing machine! In Oct. 2010, my mother and I created my first sewing project - Euro pillow shams. I was hooked! I read everything I could get my hands on that had to do with sewing! Books, magazines, online tutorials. I experimented and found that I get so much enjoyment from making quilts, and that it's where I found my niche. I'm still a beginner, but I've learned so much in just 5 short months, that I want to share it with someone!

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Quilt Along - Block #2

We're entering the second week of the quilt along! I hope everyone is getting their first block together nicely. If you have any questions, just send me an email. I don't bite ;). 

EDIT - I've been having problems with Blogger. I tried posting the tutorial last night, but for some reason, I couldn't upload pictures! Arg! I am so sorry. Is anyone else having this problem??

Okay, so for block #2, you will need the following - 

4 - 3 7/8" squares in coordinating but contrasting prints.


4 - 4 1/4" squares in coordinating but contrasting prints.


Borders - I use 2 1/2" strips in white.

Cutting the squares -
Cut the 3 7/8" squares in half, diagonally, making 2 half square triangles.


Cut the 4 1/4" squares in half, diagonally, twice, making 4 small triangle.


 Sewing -
Okay so now you have a set of larger triangles and a set of smaller triangles. Take two of the smaller triangles and sew them together. Add on a larger triangle, making a square. Repeat until all the triangles are sewn together.
Sewing the two smaller triangles
Adding the half-square triangles, making a square


Arrange the squares into 4 hourglass blocks and sew together. It should look like this -


Sew the four pieces together. You will notice that the four sub-blocks make a pinwheel in the center. Make sure your placement of each small triangle is correct so that the colors alternate.


Add the borders.

And you're done!
Don't forget, if you have any questions, just give me a holler! ;)

Popular Posts