Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! Add me as a friend on Facebook! You can also folow me on Twitter. If you have any questions on quilting, I can try to answer them for you, or you can check out my FAQ, or email me at skippitydodahquilts@yahoo.com

Happy Quilting!

About Me

My photo
I'm just a new wife who has an obsession with my sewing machine! In Oct. 2010, my mother and I created my first sewing project - Euro pillow shams. I was hooked! I read everything I could get my hands on that had to do with sewing! Books, magazines, online tutorials. I experimented and found that I get so much enjoyment from making quilts, and that it's where I found my niche. I'm still a beginner, but I've learned so much in just 5 short months, that I want to share it with someone!

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Quilt Along, Block #3

Hey, all! Thank you so much for the warm wishes for our anniversary! We had a lovely dinner out, but now I'm ready to show you block #3 of the Q.A.!

Disclaimer - I had to do the pictures for this tutorial in two different locations. I am sorry in advance for the differences in color value with the pictures. If you have any confusion, feel free to shoot me an email!
Okay, so for this block you will need the following - 

From a light color print:
1 square, 6 1/2"x6 1/2"

2 squares, 3 1/2"x3 1/2"

1 square, 3 7/8"x3 7/8"

2 rectangles, 3 1/2"x6 1/2"

From a pink print, the light color print, and a green print - each:

2 squares, 3 1/2"x3 1/2"

Edit - I only use two of these green squares. Sorry for the mix-up!


1 square, 3 7/8"x3 7/8" of each of the prints shown above. 

From another green print:
4 squares, 3 1/2"x3 1/2"

From a medium/dark print:
2 rectangles, 3 1/2"x 6 1/2"


Okay, so now that you have all of your pieces together, take your 3 1/2" pink and green squares and sew them down like this - 

Cut off the excess, press the seam back, and repeat for all four sides. This is what you should have - 

Now, you have four rectangles. Using the same method as posed above, sew down a 3 1/2" square. Cut off the excess, press the seam back, and repeat for the other side, only you will have squares on just the one side of the rectangle.

Now, take your 3 7/8" squares, and make some half square triangles. I use this method. You should have 4 half square triangles in all. 


Arrange your pieces to assemble your block.

Assemble the block, and add the borders.


And there you have it! 

I have to be honest with you guys, I don't know what I was thinking with these fabrics. I must have been smoking something really good when I pulled these out! (kidding!). But it has been a crazy weird day and my mind has just been all over the place. So I do apologize for a totally weird looking block ;-). I know you'll forgive me :-D.

Popular Posts